Ensuring your rights
California law requires employers to pay you workers compensation benefits if you are hurt or become sick because of your job. The experienced Sacramento workers compensation attorneys of The Otus Law Group have the legal knowledge and courtroom skills necessary to try complex California workers compensation and personal injury law cases.
Injuries and illnesses that may entitle you to workers compensation benefits include the following conditions:
- Back injuries due to heavy lifting
- Injuries due to falls
- Injuries due to falling objects
- Injuries from vehicle accidents, including delivery trucks and forklifts
- Burns and eye injuries due to chemical splashes
- Repetitive motion injuries such as carpal tunnel
- Hearing loss due to equipment noise
In addition, workers compensation insurance benefits may include the following:
- Medical care
- Temporary disability benefits
- Permanent disability benefits
- Death benefits
- Supplemental job displacement benefits
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Other benefits
What to do if you are hurt or become ill because of your job
Most workers compensation claims are resolved without problems. However, it is important to know your rights should a dispute arise. It is also good to know that in a dispute, our experienced lawyers are available to help you reach a favorable resolution.
If you are hurt or grow ill because of your job, the first step is to report any injury to your employer as soon as it happens, or as early as possible when you become aware of it. We recommend you report it in writing and keep a copy for your records.
Your employer must give you a claim form. Fill it out and return it to your employer as soon as possible. Make a photocopy in case your employer loses your claim form or does not give you a copy when you request it.
Get emergency medical care if you need it and tell the healthcare provider that the injury may be work related. Your employer may tell you where to get treated. For non-emergency care, the claims administrator must authorize medical care within one working day—even if they are investigating your claim.
We can help
You should call on The Otus Law Group for a skilled Sacramento or San Francisco workplace injury lawyer if:
- Your employer is not fulfilling its workers compensation obligations to you
- You disagree with the medical treatment plan offered
- You believe you should receive different or additional benefits to those offered
- You think you may have a personal injury claim due to negligence
- You have issues or concerns with your workers compensation claim